There are a number of home office lighting ideas to choose from. Determining what light fixtures to use will be based on what sort of work is being done in your home office. Detail orientated, mechanical jobs will require more task lighting. These lights will need to be colder (whiter) in color, so that you can see the true color of objects, prints, paints, etc. Whereas more computer or paper based work will need more localized general home office lighting. These light fixtures will be warmer in color, creating a more comfortable ambiance.
Adding some mood lighting can help in creating a more relaxing environment to do creative thinking. So depending on the type of work you do (from mechanical to creative led), and your home office layout, you will want to incorporate a number of different home office lighting ideas to provide the right combination of either cold work lights or warm ambient lighting.
Home Office Ceiling Lights
Recessed lighting is a modern style of lighting that provides general ambient lighting.
Track lighting provides focused light to one area, ideal for localized task lighting over a desk or work counter. One of the great things of a lighting tack is that it can be made to use only one ceiling light outlet, making it relatively easy to install a track in your home office.
Pendant lights are another way of adding task lighting to a home office. A pendant light brings the light closer down to the surface (desks, worktops, etc) making it easier to see the work you are doing. Plug in pendant lights, such as the one shown here from Home Decorators Collection, allow you to easily add a pendant light to a room. No electrical work is necessary as they plug straight into a standard light socket.
Florescent strips, though very cold in color and can create a sterile looking space, are great for more mechanical home offices. The bright white light brings clarity in the colors, objects, and tools, that you deal with.
The Most Important Piece of Home Office Furniture
A desk lamp will be one of the most important pieces in your home office. Most people will be working on a computer and with paper work, so a flexible and high quality desk light is essential to high levels of productivity. Therefore it is recommended to look into adjustable table lamps, as they can be maneuvered to your liking.
1. Anglepoise / Balanced arm / Swing arm desk lamp: This is the desk lamp. It has many names (designed after the anatomy of an arm), but this desk lamp is a versatile light fixture. It can be adjusted to shine light at any angle. You can find an Anglepoise desk lamp with a base or to save table space, there are versions with a clamp that you can attach to the edge of your desk.
2. The LEAF Lamp is an elegantly styled and modern desk light. It holds 20 LEDs, 10 are blue and 10 are yellow. This combination of LEDs allows you to use its touch control base to adjust the gradient of light: cold work light or yellow ambient lighting. Named by TIME Magazine’s as “Best Invention of 2007” for its beautiful design and energy efficiency – the LEAF lamp is a luxurious addition modern home office furniture. Costing $429.
3. Bending Neck: These are smaller and less versatile than the other desk lights, but are cheaper and take up less space.
Floor lamps are suitable for a home office layout which has enough floor space.
Adding Mood Lighting
The Yantouch Jellyfish looks like large, rounder iPad. With a gesture control touch pad, it is the most advanced and modern mood light. From the touch pad you can control the color of the light it shines, the brightness, saturation, and speed at which the colors change (if you want them too). Prices range from $79 to $189.
A SunJar is a decorative solar light that you can place at your windowsill. At night, after it has collected the suns energy during the day, it will glow like a sun has been captured in the elegant Mason jar.
Decorating A Home Office With Different Lighting Styles
There are a wide range of light fixtures styles, that can be used to suit different home office decorating ideas.
–You have Mission lighting which suit regal, traditional home office décor styles.
– You can add color to a space with traditional Tiffany lighting
– Feel like creating an exotic space to work in? Japanese or Moroccan lighting
– Then there are the clean and simple contemporary lighting fixtures
Home Office Lighting Tips
Accent Lighting: If you have any art pieces, collections, memorabilia, or a proud book collection, then you can add lighting to highlight these areas. Some options include: cabinet lighting, downlighting or uplights.
A Cozy Work Environment: Lighting can play a role if you want to create a cozy, intimate space. You will want to avoid lighting the ceiling. Bring light down with pendant lighting, table and floor lamps.
Formal and Large Space: Adding a mirror to the room, light the ceiling (with wall washers or uplights) and lighting all corners of the room will create the illusion that the space is larger.
Natural lighting Ideas: Natural lighting is the best type of lighting to use during the day. Windows are essential for a positive work environment and natural lighting. You can use blinds to control the amount of light (and heat) coming through during different times of the day. A skylight, though a major undertaking, will wash your home office with a warm glow of light.
Home Office Design Pictures